[OM] Re: Petrol in a diesel was off camera flash?

Subject: [OM] Re: Petrol in a diesel was off camera flash?
From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 23:23:19 -0400
On Friday, October 03, 2008 17:46, Jon Mitchell wrote:

> 3) Despite both the above, everyone keeps telling me it's a very bad
> thing to do.  I don't plan on trying it out soon though.
>
> I don't really know the chemistry behind it all, but I know that one
> burns much hotter than the other.  My own logic tells me that as Petrol
> requires a spark to ignite it, and there are no spark plugs in a diesel
> engine, then in theory once the ratio of Petrol to Diesel in the
> cylinder gets too high it just won't ignite.  I'm not about to test it
> out in my new toy though.

Petrol has a higher ignition point than diesel intentionally.  When the diesel
is injected into the cylinder it needs to ignite immediately and not after
some quantity has been pumped in. The important point to remember is that
this is happening before the cylinder reaches maximum compression and
therefore maximum temperaure. The problem, as I understand it, is that if
petrol is used instead of diesel a quantity is injected before the fuel
ignites. Because the charge of fuel burns all at once, it vastly increases
the loads on engine components.

I would believe that how it reacts depends on a bunch of factors. High octane
petrol in a relatively low compression cold diesel might not run at all. Low
octane petrol with a little diesel mixed in, run in a high compression hot
diesel might not be that noticeable. Some combination inbetween could trash
an engine.