[OM] Re: Greetings from a new member

Subject: [OM] Re: Greetings from a new member
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:46:59 +0200
Hi Piers,

My reason for going with the f/2.0 is that I really do quite a bit of
low-light
shooting. Tell me, is the f/2.0 much inferiour to, say, the 2.8 or 3.5
in terms
of bright-light, stopped-down photography? I understand it has
pronounced distortion,
but apart form that (and bigger physical size) am I compromising on
too much?

I am itching for the 18mm.... very much so.... Especially since there
now one for
sale on this list at a reasonable price :-)

And yes, I can understand the term "Zuikoholic" looking at the
addiction these lenses
seem to cause, but I am trying to keep things within moderation, based
on the sort
of photography I do. And one big reason for going this route is also
the compactness,
it's really not always feasible to lug the big canon kit around. I am
not a "collector"
but rather a "user" and I will happily try something out and then re-
sell it is it doesn't
suit my style... so I am hoping the Zuikoholic tendencies will be kept
at bay for me.

I want compact, top-quality, reliable kit for walk-around and
contemplative photography,
and a couple of lenses should cover that. I do see the merit of,
staying say within the
24mm - 90mm range, having two sets of lenses, one low-light (and
bulkier), the other
ultra-small travel kit for daytime photography, with similar
portability to Leica M
kit, but I do prefer a SLR for the type of work I do in terms of close-
up and precise
composition.