[OM] Re: Off site file backup?

Subject: [OM] Re: Off site file backup?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:53:30 -0700
James R wrote:
>  .... But at what size level of files to be backed up does the thing become
> so slow as to unworkable?
> With my mediocre 2Mb download and 256k upload it seems a daunting task to
> upload my 670Gb of data on my backup drive. I make that 726 hours to upload
> or about 30 days. And that's without any network slowdown. Carbonyte's 15 day
> trial wouldn't be much use.

I'm not planning to use on-line at this time. However, if I were to do
so, I would use an incremental back-up strategy.

I'm in the same speed situation as you are for upload speed, so the
initial load(s) would be very long. But subsequent back-ups of new and
altered files would be much quicker, especially if done often, shich is
not a bad plan anyway.

> It's great news that the service exists though. I currently take my 1Tb
> backup hard drive with me when I leave home for any significant time (it went
> for a nice two week holiday in Brittany this summer), but I still need
> something off-site.

That sounds to me like inviting a loss from car, hotel room, whatever.
Isn't there someone with a secure home who can babysit it?

Moose