[OM] Re: Off site file backup?

Subject: [OM] Re: Off site file backup?
From: "James Howe" <jhoweaa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:14:17 -0400
I have a yearly subscription for Mozy and I use it to create an off-site
backup of my digital negatives and other key files.  It does have the
drawback of taking a long time to upload (sometimes days at 1/mbs) but I
feel better having images stored off site.  I also have a couple of local
backups, one on a RAID 1 drive so Mozy is really only likely to be used in a
rare circumstance.

That being said, even the best laid plans can mess you up.  I've been using
some auto-sync software to keep my local backup drives in sync.  Ultimately
Mozy gets data from one of my local drives.  However, I made the mistake of
deleting some files that I didn't really mean to, and I didn't realize it
until a few weeks later.  By that time, my file syncing had deleted the
files from the local drive, and Mozy had deleted them from their site and I
couldn't go back far enough on Mozy to find a backup where the files
existed.  200 digital images gone like that due to my stupidity.  All I have
left are some thumbnails generated by Lightroom.

--
James Howe