[OM] Scary moment

Subject: [OM] Scary moment
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 11:46:26 -0700
This morning while taking some photos with the 135/4.5 mounted on my
E510 on tripod. I suddenly found myself holding the lens and extension
tube in my hand. The three screws that hold the adapter together came
loose and the lens just fell off.  Beware! Luckily I was focusing at the
time and caught the lens before it hit the deck. These tiny screws
extend an extremely short distance into the soft aluminum so it will
take very little stress to strip them out. I'll have to rethink mounting
the 300/2.8 via these adapters from jinfinance. Perhaps I can drill and
tap for larger diameter and longer screws. In the meantime I reassembled
the adapter and the threads seemed to bite but a little too much torque
will easily break them loose. Definitely do not stress this joint. Check
those screws folks.

I also wonder if all adapters are created equal. Maybe some of you could
pull a screw and take a look at the size. I'd like to know if other
manufacturers make a more sturdy product. FWIW these screws mic @ 1.3mm
diameter x 2.4mm length

Mike