[OM] Re: Another unknown Zuiko-OM lens?

Subject: [OM] Re: Another unknown Zuiko-OM lens?
From: "Fabio Fiorellato" <flowerside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 11:35:52 +0200
Moose,

maybe rather than standardization issues (the 28mm f2 after all has a 49mm
filter thread), the switch in the 35mm f/2 filter thread from 49mm to 55mm
was due to other issues such as vignetting, or something else I'm not able
to discern.

Besides that, given my - relatively - new experience with Olympus OM, in no
way comparable to yours or those from other venerable list members, I seem
to recall that the 35 f/2 dates back to 1973, just like other f/2 wides (the
24mm for instance), as indirectly stated on one of the e-Sif pages [
http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/lensgroup/zuiko_prototypes.htm ], so
it probably is not only an "early lens - small filter thread" matter.

Thanks for your opinions, tough!

Ciao

Fabio

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The difference from prototype to production design may be nothing more
> than a decision to standardize the filter thread on all the new f2
> lenses at 55mm.
>
> A good decision, too, if the past expressed opinions of those on this
> list are any indication.
>
> Fabio Fiorellato wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I was just browsing the wonderful Olympus wallpapers set available on the
> > olympus.co.jp site, when something strange caught my attention in this
> pic:
> >

> http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/fun/wallpaper/camera/dl.cfm?id=117&type_id=4&la=en<
> http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/fun/wallpaper/camera/dl.cfm?id=117&type_id=4&la=en
> >

> Nice catch!
> > It shows the wideangle lenses that were available for our beloved OMs
> back in the good ol' days,
> That depends on when the good old days were. The F2 wide angles, 50/2
> and 90/2 macros and 100/2 are all relatively late lenses, from the
> perspective of one who started with an OM-1 in about 1974. They all have
> 55mm filter threads.
>
> All the original lenses except the 50/1.4 were slower, smaller, lighter
> and almost all with 49mm threads.
>
> Moose

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

The definitive answer to the meaning of life, universe and everything else
is: 42.