[OM] Re: Wein Cell Experience

Subject: [OM] Re: Wein Cell Experience
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:05:36 -0400
Since no one else has responded I'll tell you what little I know.  I had
a Wein cell once that came to me in a little Konica rangefinder.  I
never used it in the OM-1 and the Konica was quite dead otherwise.

I don't know how long it would last in an OM-1 but I'm told that you can
recover the activation holes and stop (I assume slowly) electricity
generation to preserve the battery.

I've seen Wein cells advertised as 1.35 volts which is the nominal
voltage for a mercury cell but the Wein cell is zinc oxide whose nominal
voltage (as in hearing aid cells) is 1.4 volts.  Whether Wein actually
does something to drop the voltage to 1.35 I don't know.  I suspect it's
really 1.4 like other zinc oxide cells.

Buy some cheap hearing aid batteries and then you won't care how long it
lasts.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt