[OM] Re: the liminal space was: Re: Almost on topic images

Subject: [OM] Re: the liminal space was: Re: Almost on topic images
From: "montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx" <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 09:04:24 +1000
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> yesterday late at night I sent this same text but seems it didn't
 > came back, It's not in the server's spam folder, neither in my
 > desktop spam folder.
>
> changed its title, hope it goes through ....

G'day Fernando,

I definitely got it the first time you sent it, "yesterday late at night".

> Here is how I discovered the liminal space of fog/sun boundaries
 > using a > telephoto. I named this photo "It Is In The Brewing
  Luminous (to Cecil Taylor)".

Made me look. I just googled "Cecil Taylor" and "...Brewing Luminous",
because I love the phrase. I can't say I've had much to do with "free
jazz", but Wikipedia tells me he is also an "accomplished poet", so I
might have to check that out.

> Not quite the fog you find in California. Done in winter (June 2003)
 > at sunrise, looking from Punta Carretas towards the Cerro de
 > Montevideo, at the entrance of the harbor. The ship is just about
 > to disappear into the harbor.
>
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/2736857707/sizes/o/>

The ship is rendered very "painterly" by the sun, humidity and distance.
I'm not sure I like the centre-positioning left-to-right much. I see a
square crop, with the ship to the left, full height of the frame, and
making sure that chimney(?) near the horizon on the right is included.
The small wave at the bottom balanced with the "wave" of cloud barely
seen at the top. I like the way the exhaust of the ship, again barely
seen, merges with the fog band and the even more faint hills behind on
the horizon.

Also, like Moose's photo, this triggers memory for me. It reminds me of
the big ships coming into Newcastle harbour river entrance, down where
Mum lives. On the spit of land that is Stockton, you can sometimes hear
their big screws turning, sound thudding away through the ground beneath.

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz