[OM] Re: Slideshow software

Subject: [OM] Re: Slideshow software
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 21:47:13 +0800
I'm a bit late joining this thread but I do have some input into this as
well as questions to ask too.

Firstly I have long been wanting to find something that would allow us at
Zone-10 to create multimedia presentations of still images with an audio
backing running through it. We have this idea of inviting registered users
to offer their presentations to show online via our site. We're still in the
development stages at the moment mainly because we need to find at least one
possible solution that really works well, is cost effective and fairly
straightforward to use. So far we've not been able to track one down with
the exception of one of our members in Malaysia who suggested Canopus.
Earlier this evening, I had a look at what he was able to do with it
(Canopus) and I must say I was quite impressed.

Our PC-based presentations were based on the use of MS PowerPoint. It's easy
to use but it's a right royal pain in the anterior. It's very fickle minded
when it comes to sourcing the audio track. I've had different people
experiencing different things as far as this is concerned. I could never get
it to source any audio file unless it is found in an audio CD and
furthermore, PowerPoint doesn't seem to like MP3 also. But like I said,
someone else might have a different experience from me but for me, it never
worked. Furthermore, PowerPoint - or at least my version - doesn't render to
DVD, which makes the whole exercise pointless.

My sister uses Ulead. It's quite flexible but so far she has not been able
to render it to DVD and we all suspect that this is more a question of
processor firepower and/or available system memory to crunch through the
whole process. It's easy to use but having seen what Canopus can do, I am
beginning to believe that it is not as widely capable.

Which then brings me to the next question - how much firepower does one need
as far as a Windows XP-based PC to render a multimedia presentation on DVD?
Or is it really all that better to use a Mac desktop?

If anyone of you have different experiences or even have used or come across
Canopus that you can share with me, I'd love to hear from you. I have
reproduced this same topic at Zone-10's Discussion Forum - feel welcome to
provide your answer here or there.

Thanks for your time.

K.

--
Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people" - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney