[OM] Re: Slideshow software

Subject: [OM] Re: Slideshow software
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 06:40:32 -0400
I recently visited with some folks who had been at a family gathering
where I had taken lots of photos.  I assumed that they probably had a PC
of some sort so took along a data DVD containing two folders of JPEG
images from the gathering.  One contained small images suitable for the
web, the other contained the original, full-size 13 MP images from the 5D.

When I mentioned that I had a DVD with photos my host said, "Oh, good,
let's play the DVD on the TV."  I said it wasn't a DVD video, just still
images and the TV and DVD player wouldn't know what to do with it.  But
the host insisted that we try it.  Much to my surprise, the TV/DVD combo
(a Hi-Def, 8 foot projection screen monster) began immediately to
display a slide show.  To everyone's dissatisfaction, the images looked
kind of fuzzy and I finally realized that it had chosen the small size
web images and was up-rezzing them to fit the HD screen.  I then asked
if it was possible to navigate around the disk to look for another
folder.  Sure enough it was quite possible and I discovered that the TV
was also capable of down-rezzing the 13 MP images to fit the HD screen.

I'm not sure what was providing all the logic for that but it was
certainly not just a dumb TV.

Chuck Norcutt