[OM] Tam-Tok 80-200/2.8 lenses [was camera hoarding]

Subject: [OM] Tam-Tok 80-200/2.8 lenses [was camera hoarding]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:32:17 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> First time bounced.? Hope this works.

I guess so.
> When I had been looking, I never even found a tam 80-200 with the  tripod
> mount intact---must be fragile in marked contrast to the rest of it which is
> built like a tank.
I did find one intact, after much patient watching. I think the problem
is two fold.

1. The design is slightly weak, but fine - if you don't try to over
tighten it.

2. There is some flex in the mount even when rigidly attached to the
lens. This can easily lead to the conclusion that it isn't tightened
enough, as one assumes it wouldn't flex. Then attempts to tighten
further can break the mount.

Careful observation of what happens when it feels slightly "loose" show
that it is actually the two arms that flex, not the grip on the lens.
The part that breaks, however, is not the arms, but the hinge of the
part that grasps the camera.
> With detailed instructions from list members the modified auto-tube mount
> (from JH) works like a charm.
> Mine still has the bothersome creep despite the Tam service.  The Tam SP 2X
> TC seems to work especially well
> with it and makes me think the "matched optics" makes a difference.  Haven't
> had the urge to go aftter the Tokina, but perhaps that will change.

The Tokina is 30% lighter and feels smaller, perhaps agile is the word,
although it's essentially the same size. Except for the tripod mount,
which is much smaller and a far better design. Mine is not creep free,
but better than the Tammy.

The Tokina hood is plastic and looks like it would survive far less
abuse than the massive metal one on the Tamron. Both are bayonet mount.

Moose