[OM] Re: 420 and 25/2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: 420 and 25/2.8
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:46:22 +1000
Of course, you can get wet plaster done over the stone walls of your
mansion with a hand-floated hard crack surface - it'll last a
thousand years. Of course each wall will cost a ransom but you could
get some fresco work done at the same time. A budget lens should be
the equivalent of good quality sheet plaster work (that is - you
can't see the seams in oblique light). Even I can manage that with a
bit of time and care and the correct jointing procedure/materials.
Paint won't conceal poor plasterwork and it should not be accepted.

I'm with Wayne here - to build a lens free of aberrations and
distortions is possible - Leica do it and charge thousands for each
hand built gem. And none of us can afford them of course. Even then,
once you get into wide angles, there are some acceptable deviations
from reality. On the other hand, if we want lenses we can actually
afford then there are compromises which we'll have to expect and if
they can be ironed out in some neat software program, why not? The
D.Zuiko has some chromatic aberration - a fair bit actually. But it
is a sweet thing in other ways so I take that. Frankly, I haven't
noticed barrel distortion - but I haven't been looking. I'm sure I
can find lots of faults with it if I really try, but I'm too busy
using it.

The lensmakers aren't making mistakes - they're working to a budget
and deciding what is acceptable for the price.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx