[OM] Re: 420 and 25/2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: 420 and 25/2.8
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:13:36 -0700
Tom Fenwick wrote:
> It's a nuisance in some shots - not people, but lots of other stuff.  I went
> as far as trying to correct one in photoshop the other day - it works.
>
> I've found it with all the zooms (14-42, 14-54, 12-60, 11-22) at the wide
> end.  I reckon the 14-54 is probably the  best in this regard, although the
> others are either a lot cheaper or quite a bit wider so it doesn't count.
> It would have been nice if the prime didn't have it, but I think size was
> their

Time for my unpaid, unofficial shill act for PTLens again.

It's dirt cheap and astonishingly good. Reads the EXIF and makes the
correction - like magic. Corrects distortion you might not notice until
you see before and after.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/HearstCastle/CdM01.htm>

Really crucial for architectural work where you are going to do
perspective correction. If you don't correct lens distortion first, you
can end up with nice horizontal and vertical lines that are bowed in the
middle.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/HearstCastle/GStair.htm>

Even with no straight lines at all, before and after make it clear that
shots look more natural corrected.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/Morro%20Bay/Oak01.htm>
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/Morro%20Bay/OakCan01.htm

I use it all the time and have never noticed any artifacts from the
process. I do any NR before PTLens (or any perspective correction,
etc.), so the noise pattern won't be distorted. I'm not sure if it makes
a practical difference, but should in theory.

I don't know if it violates one of Nathan's personal processing taboos,
but should at least be of assistance to others.

It currently has calibration profiles for these lenses:
Zuiko Digital 7-14mm f/4.0
Zuiko Digital 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5
Zuiko Digital 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 ED SWD
Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 ED
Zuiko Digital 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6
Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5
Zuiko Digital 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
Zuiko Digital 18-180mm f/3.5-6.3 ED
Zuiko Digital 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 ED
Zuiko Digital 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5
Zuiko Digital 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5
Zuiko Digital 50mm f/2.0 Macro

One of you folks with the 25/2.8 should follow his specs for a
calibration shot for that lens and send it to him.
<http://www.epaperpress.com/ptlens/index.html>