[OM] Re: Best Sensor Cleaning Product

Subject: [OM] Re: Best Sensor Cleaning Product
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:03:08 -0400
Wow!  What a FUD factor.  Maybe I should go into the business. They
recommend pro photogs get their cameras cleaned once/month at $60...
whether it needs it or not! :-)

To check whether your camera's sensor need cleaning just throw the lens
out of focus, put the camera in aperture priority mode, stop down to the
smallest aperture you're ever likely to use (don't bother with f/22 or
f/32 if you don't actually shoot at those apertures), point the camera
at a patch of clear blue sky and take the shot.  Then blow up the image
in your editor and carefully examine it for black spots which are the
shadows of dust on the sensor filter.  To locate the actual dust on the
sensor when cleaning remember that the image on the sensor is reversed
right to left and upside down.

It can also be instructive to take test shots at larger apertures.  Dust
that's visible at f/16 may not be visible at f/11 or f/8.  If that's the
case and you don't have time for cleaning right now just avoid f/16 and
smaller.

Chuck Norcutt