[OM] Dr. Flash tries the T-32 in auto mode

Subject: [OM] Dr. Flash tries the T-32 in auto mode
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:54:27 -0400
Tried T32 in auto on Canyon G-9 in auto at Iso 80-100 in manul camera mode. On
f4 auto generally had to use 5.6 aperture for good exposure by sight and histo
.? It worked in smallish room with normal ceiling height at 45 degT32 ?and
Sto-fen diffuser.? Seemed to work OK varying distance to subject by a stop or 2
as best as I recall.? Needed to drag the shutter as per Dr. Flash's eloquent
instructions a few years back.? I think you mentioned the 5D at iso100 acted
closer to 125.? I was a bit surprised by the stop difference required in the
settings. but it was eminently nicer than the harsh on board flash at those
distances.? Immediate feedback certainly shortens the learning curve to think
like a thryister taking the background into account. .
Mike

Last night was my granddaughter's 8th grade graduation ceremony.  Since I had
no knowledge of the place or where I might be positioned with respect to the
action at any given time I decided that shooting auto mode flash might allow me
to react to changing conditions a little faster than my normal manual mode
shooting.  My Canyon 540EZ has a 7 stop manual range but no flash controlled
auto mode.  The T-32 has only full and 1/4 power but does have an auto mode.
So the 540EZ stayed home and the T-32 got assigned to the flash bracket.

In a nutshell I was very disappointed.  Before the ceremony started I
approached the stage and podium as closely as I thought I'd be allowed which
was about 25 feet (8 meters).  I had the T-32 set for ISO 400 and aperture f/8.
 My test shot showed that I actually needed f/5.6 on the camera.  To make a
long story short, long before the night was over I ultimately discovered that,
with no changes to the flash setting, I was forced to apply manual exposure
corrections by using from f/5.6 to f/16 on the camera depending on the
distance.  I think I'd have been better off with the 540EZ in manual mode.
This was very surprising.  I was prepared for auto mode to make 1 stop errors
which I could easily correct in post processing but I wasn't prepared for 3
stop errors or a 4 stop range from low to high.

Anybody have similar results with a T-32?  My guess is that it would have been
fairly well on the mark had I been shooting in a modest size room with a low
ceiling.  But I really did think it would do better than it did.  Faulty T-32?
I have 5 of them so can try the experiment again but not in the same venue.

Dr. Flash