[OM] Re: Winners of Olympus DSLR Contest

Subject: [OM] Re: Winners of Olympus DSLR Contest
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:09:39 -0500
I looked at the bison photo again, and I think the lighting is completely
plausable. The sun appears to be directly on the bison's left side up about
60 degrees. This matches up with the shadow of the snow on the right side of
the image.  The extreme "fill lighting" on the shadow-side of the bison is
explained by the reflection in the eyes. It appears that there is a
snowbank directly reflecting the sunlight back into the shadow-side of the
bison, but at a low-enough angle to not greatly affect the shadowing in the
stones of the pavement or wash out the shadow of the bison. Inotherwords,
the "fill light" is actually shining upward by being below the height of the
bison.  Seeing the level of the snow on the right side of the photograph, I
believe this to be the case.

The third bison is NOT standing still.  She is also on the move, but the
photographer took the image the moment both front feet were on the ground.
This particular moment of capture isn't particularily flattering--it's like
trying to photograph people clapping their hands.

Over the past 10 years I've taken many hundreds of photographs of bison and
this photograph seems consistant with those I've taken.  Granted, the
coloring is a bit off as there is too much cyan in the sky, and other
post-processing artifacts are present.  But I would suggest that the
photograph is authentic.

AG