[OM] Re: A couple of Velvia 50 birds

Subject: [OM] Re: A couple of Velvia 50 birds
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:23:53 -0700
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> Large files as usual (1280 x nnn aprox.).
Nice.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/2542385073/sizes/o/

Well, here's one answer to the question about getting shadow detail in a
scan. There is considerable shadow detail captured by the scan of this
image recoverable in CS3. Also a little sharpness. I've cropped to the
relevant part.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/FGonzalezG/Bird01.htm>
> tripod mounted Olympus OM 2n on Auto mode, shoe mounted Olympus T 32 flash on
> TTL-OTF mode (close to 1/60 so as to fill-in), Zuiko 200mm/4 doubled by Zuiko
> 2X-A, @ 5.6 (400mm @ 11), Winder 2, Eyecup 1. No bean
> bag this time.

Contrary to C.H.'s experience, Gary's tests showed the 200/4 to be quite
sharp, but only when properly supported/damped. I'm not sure even a bean
bag is adequate. Walt's beloved lead shot bag would be more certain.

That said, the sharpness problems with this image look to be partly a
plane of focus and DOF issue. There's actually quite a bit of sharp
detail in eye, beak and breast. The sides of the bird closer to the
camera are a lot softer.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/2542398741/sizes/o/

And here's the other side of scanning shadows. There is simply no detail
to bring up in the black parts of the bird. I suspect this is true of
the slide, and not caused by the scan. This subject has a huge
brightness range.

> Comments and critiques are welcome as always. Hope you like them.

I agree with C.H. about the question of matching film and equipment to
subject. I think 50 speed film and slow lenses are best suited to
photographing stuffed birds. If I were shooting birds with film and the
equipment I have, I'd be using Portra 400 or Supra 800 and the Tamron
80-200/2.8 with 2x or Vivitar 600/8 mirror lens. Both of those lenses,
by the way, resolve the vibration to a great degree through sheer
weight. :-)

NeatImage will do better with the grain of faster film than any post
processing will do with images out of focus and/or motion blurred
subjects. You can get the neon colors through software, too.

Moose