[OM] Re: Tripod height

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripod height
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 14:24:38 +1200
Jay wrote

> I am curious as to the distaste for the use of the centre post.  I would
> readily agree that fully extended it would be prone to vibration.  Someone
> posted here (can't remember who or when) that he did not fully extend the
> third section - smallest - of the legs on his tripod finding that that led
> to more vibration. My totally unscientific study of tapping on the tripod
> with the small legs fully and partially extended seemed to give that
> theory credence.

  My understanding of tripod theory is that it is best to have the camera at
the apex of the / \  angle of the legs, and to use weight or firm hand pressure
on the camera to make sure it has good connection with terra firma so as to
resist vibrating as the shutter goes off + etc. If a centre post is used there
is
not a direct line of transference of vibration direction from camera to the
firm
ground.

Centre posts are OK for most cameras with Copal etc shutters that are
within the lens body since they have very little vibration and the lenses are
short; and usually (Rolleiflexes excepted) have no mirror.
Brian Swale