[OM] Happiness [was: How about those Red Wings an alternate discussion f

Subject: [OM] Happiness [was: How about those Red Wings an alternate discussion for]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 23:14:17 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> One thing I know for sure is that money and happiness are not
> positively
> correlated.

Hey, something we agree on!

It's been twelve years since I saw more than $13,000 in taxable income
in a year. But that's because I made a conscious decision to get "off
the economy" to the greatest extent possible, and to have as many
things as possible be business expenses. So I can have a reasonable
computer and a nice camera, but not the best, and not every year. I
don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink alcohol, but they
all drink vegetable oil instead. I often ask for voluntary
contributions for services I perform for others, rather than set a fee
some might not afford -- and some give me more than I would have asked
for. These things make me happy.

I don't mean at all to demean the situation Larry finds himself in,
but I have to agree with Moose that happiness is about 90% attitude,
10% situation. If E. M. Cioran is too intellectual and abstract, go
out and rent the movie "The Castle" for a real education on how to be
happy.

Things are coming to a head. Those who depend on money for happiness
either better already have a lot of it, or be prepared for
disappointment. My best advice is that if you are attached to a job
that requires you to commute, start studying skills that will get you
out of your car entirely. And for heaven's sake, plant a garden. Plan
to be off petroleum in five years or less, and don't look back.

:::: When you change the way you look at things, the things you look
at change. -- Wayne Dyer.
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99AO08-18>