[OM] Re: What to buy, what to buy.

Subject: [OM] Re: What to buy, what to buy.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 08:19:36 -0400
A Canon body will also allow use of OM lenses.  A "Digital Rebel" (EOS
300D) or Digital Rebel XT (EOS 350D) can be had at KEH for your price
limit.  An EX condition 300D is $299 and EX condition 350D is $349.  I
think the 350D is a superior camera and well worth the $50 difference.
<http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx?Mode=searchproducts&item=0&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&Size=&BC=DC&BCC=3&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=rebel>
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/>
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/>

Like the others of us who have gone to the dark side expecting to re-use
our OM lenses you may discover that manual focus, stop-down lenses work
best for slow, contemplative photography.  For faster action you will
soon demand at least one general purpose Canon mount autofocus lens.
KEH has the 18-55/3.5-5.6 kit lenses (29-88 equiv) in BGN grade at $62
for the re-designed "II" version announced with the 350D and $76 for the
BGN grade original 18-55 announced with the 300D.  According to the note
at the bottom-right of this 350D review page the optics are the same but
the cosmetics are different.  In addition, some of the original lenses
were made with USM (ultrasonic focusing motors) which is quieter and
faster.  That may explain the difference in price but just a guess.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS350D/page3.asp>

Of course, the sky is the limit on lenses after that but this can get
you going for from $361 to $425.  Like most DSLR's these cameras require
CF cards so you can't re-use your SD cards.  Whether Oly or Canon EF-s
mount you will also discover that your wide angle Oly lenses aren't very
wide any more.  Your OM 21mm is 42mm on an E-thing and 34mm on a Canon.
  Replicating an OM 21mm's field of view on an E-thing will require at
least the 11-22 lens which will run at least $500 used.  You'll need
13mm on a Canon.  Also pricey but you have some more options available
such as the Tokina 12-24/4 which can be had for $500 new.