[OM] Re: Seattle trip and questions about the FL-50 vs. FL-50R flashes -

Subject: [OM] Re: Seattle trip and questions about the FL-50 vs. FL-50R flashes - also Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-1
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:06:05 -0700 (PDT)
Leandro wrote:

> >  Finally: most likely I will have to make a decision today or tomorrow
> >  (in order to leave time for ordering it), and I'm wondering if there
> >  are perhaps any good accessories (or perhaps even combined deals) that
> >  would be very smart to buy along with it. Right now, a softbox and an
> >  off-camera TTL cable spring to mind. Can anyone comment on this too?
>
> You may want bounces and diffusers.

I agree, the single most useful add on for any portable flash is a large
diffuser of some sort.
The bigger the area, the better: At least a square foot of area. ebay and other
sellers have
various cloth devices which fold up small for travel , a bit like the disc
diffusers used in
studios, but attach to flash. Some sell plastic diffusers that attach with
velcro to most flashes.
The small box like devices are not much good compared to a larger device.  My
favourite: a Sunpak
mini rectangular unit which folds up really small, but is no longer sold. I
made a huge unit 22"
in diameter, like a studio "Beauty Dish, which folds up very small, but it is a
bit unwieldy,
although results are great.

Tim Hughes