[OM] Re: Just when you thought...

Subject: [OM] Re: Just when you thought...
From: Michael Collins <l43g20th@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:58:49 -0400
On 4/10/08 9:45 AM, "Jim Couch at home" <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I have not received anything like this myself.  Is this something that
> eBay is imposing on overseas transactions only, or did I miss something?

It does seem to be market by market. I had thought it was initially just Oz,
but here's what I saw yesterday in "My [Canadian] ePay" (note especially the
"Sincerely", " Trust" and "Safety"):

<<
***Reminder: Safer Payments Requirements Go Into Effect Today***
09 April, 2008 | 13:02
John McDonald

Hi everyone, I'm John McDonald with the Trust and Safety team. As Jim
Ambach, VP of Seller Experience, outlined in his announcement in January,
we're making some changes that are intended to make the buying experience on
eBay better and safer. As part of this initiative, expanded safer payment
requirements are going into effect today.

Since January 2007, all new sellers have been required to offer PayPal or a
merchant credit card as a payment option to their buyers. This policy has
now been expanded to sellers or items when they meet one or more of the
following conditions:
* the seller has higher than 5% buyer dissatisfaction rates
* the seller has less than 100 feedback
* the items are listed in categories with higher rates of buyer complaints,
including: Gift Certificates, Video Games, Cell Phones, Computers and
Consumer Electronics.

In addition, for a small number of transactions that have a higher risk of
buyer dissatisfaction, we may delay the release of funds paid through
PayPal. This hold will be placed on only a small percentage of transactions
for up to 21 days. Then the funds will be released if there is no dispute.
The funds may be released earlier if the buyer leaves positive feedback.

Your payments will not be held if you meet the following requirements:
* you have been an eBay member for six months or more, and
* your total Feedback score is 100 or greater, and
* your buyer dissatisfaction percentage is less than 5%.
Or
* your average DSR is 4.5 or greater and
* you have received 20 or more DSRs in the last 12 months.

I know that there have been questions among our Community about payment
holds. Monroe Labouisse, my colleague at PayPal, explains holds in further
detail on his post to the PayPal blog page.

Sincerely,

John McDonald
eBay Trust & Safety