[OM] Re: Printers R1900 or B9180

Subject: [OM] Re: Printers R1900 or B9180
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 15:47:33 -0700
swisspace wrote:

> I am also thinking of ordering one of these to save me hours of calibrating
>
> <http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Colour%20Management/munki/munki.html>
>
> a little expensive but I think a worthwhile investment

Looks like price overkill to me. The only thing that should cost any
money is the monitor calibration device. There seem to be several
hardware/software combos out there for under US$200.

For the printer, all you need is your flatbed scanner, IT8 target and
software to create an icc profile from IT8 target image. I use VueScan
simply because I have had it for scanning for years, but there are
others, including freebies. <http://coloraid.de/>

An IT8 target for a scanner is 10 Euros. <http://www.targets.coloraid.de/>

The procedure is pretty simple.

1. Scan the IT8 target and create an icc profile to calibrate the scanner.

2. Print an electronic version of the IT8 on your printer.

3. Scan the print using scanner and its icc profile to create a profile
for that printer, inkset and paper.

4. Use the icc profile when printing.

I haven't looked into the color management systems linked to on
coloraid.de to know which is simplest. But all you really have to pay
for is the colorimeter for the screen and an IT8 target.

Moose