[OM] Re: radio controlled flash with E-510

Subject: [OM] Re: radio controlled flash with E-510
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:54:22 -0400
I've reported on the apparent compatibility before but have no first
hand experience other than owning a Canon off-camera shoe cable 2.
Prior to the release of the Canon shoe cable 3 the Canon cable was
cheaper than the Oly FL-CB05.  Shoe cable 2 has been discontinued, shoe
cable 3 is reported to be more robust than 2, the price has increased to
$69.95 and the FL-CB05 is now $52.95.  I think that's lower than it was
before and suspect Oly may have lowered the price after losing sales to
Canon. :-)

There are many complaints on B&H's site about the fragility of Canon
shoe cable 2.  I don't understand them since I own the product and have
used one for a couple of years with no problem.  The shoe cable 3 is
reported to be much tougher but some complaints persist in the reviews.
  There are obviously some ham fisted folks out there.

There are no reviews at B&H on the FL-CB05.  Maybe someone here has one
and can comment on its build quality.  The T-32 is lousy on-camera
because of its low height but its low moment arm means less stress on
the mount when used on a bracket to solve the height problem.

Chuck Norcutt