[OM] Re: radio controlled flash with E-510

Subject: [OM] Re: radio controlled flash with E-510
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:02:53 -0600
John Hudson wrote:
> The E-3 can communicate remotely with the Olympus FL-50R flash via a radio
> link.
>
> Is there any product that can be used with the E-510 to mimic the E-3 /
> FL-50R radio link?

John, the FL-50R does *not* communicate via radio.  The pop-up flash on
the E-3 fires a series of short binary light pulses which the FL-50R
receives and interprets.  Same system as the old KonicaMinoltas, and I
believe the more modern stuff from Canon and Nikon.  (Would that it
*were* radio -- that's be quite a feather in the cap of Oly for their
flagship design to do that...).

> I am thinking of an attachment that could be inserted into the E-510 hot
> shoe that would trigger a radio signal to the FL-50R when the E-510's
> shutter fires.

See above.  Can't exist, since the comm is not via radio link.

> My local high end photo store has opined that the E-410 and E-510 will be
> the last of the Olympus DSLRs not having a camera to flash radio link. Given
> that, it seems a waste of money investing in a plain jane FL-50 flash

If the people at your local high-end camera store are of the opinion
that a radio link's being used, you might want to tell them to read the
E-3's manual, specifically p.76 in the English-language section: "The
built-in flash is used to communicate between the camera and the
external flashes."  This is also why the diagram on p.76 shows that the
wireless set-up can only be used within a certain range of angles and
distances.

Garth