[OM] Re: FF Sony

Subject: [OM] Re: FF Sony
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 21:01:17 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Also interesting is the live view cut-away diagram which seems to show
> the main mirror in the down position with semi-silvering allowing
> metering and (maybe focusing) going on at the floor of the mirror box
> while a smaller mirror in front of the prism (?) bulge redirects the
> image to a smaller live view sensor just above the eyepiece ala E-330 A
> mode.  Well, at least that's what it looks like to me.

Looks to me like they have gone to a penta mirror, with one mirror
moving to give A type live view.

It looks like it should be a more light efficient design than the E-330
splitter. A penta mirror is less efficient (and lighter) than a
pentaprism, but that light loss should be less that that lost to the
beam splitter in the E-330. And with FF. there's a whole lot more light
to work with than on 4/3. Shouldn't have the problems E-330 ALV had as a
result of limited light.

Moose