[OM] Re: check out this posting: Olympus OM 24 - 40 zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: check out this posting: Olympus OM 24 - 40 zoom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:03:03 -0700
Leandro DUTRA wrote:
> 2008/3/19, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>  They only do this at high ISOs. The results are awful on those I've seen.
>>
> I haven't been able to really analyse your post, but I had understood you
> were praising the technique.

NO!

Two very different things. I used down sampling of modest ISO (400 max)
images as a tool to analyze the IQ of the later, higher MP cameras vs.
the best of the last generation. As I just posted, I see no advantage to
actually introducing an extra down sampling step in the use of the images.

What Winsor was talking about is a practice of some camera makers of
adding ISO settings to their digicams that are perfectly ridiculous and
unusuable, given the sensor size, by the trick of 'binning', adding
together the light sensing of several pixels in-camera, so that the
result looks vaguely like something you might recognize, rather than
almost pure noise.

It's a gimmick for marketing purposes. Ignore it unless you are into
intentionally 'poor' images for artistic purposes.

Moose