[OM] Re: check out this posting: Olympus OM 24 - 40 zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: check out this posting: Olympus OM 24 - 40 zoom
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:02:03 -0700
Quite a few of them allow pix at ridiculous ISOs for a small camera
like ISO 1600 or 3200, but accomplish that by combining the pixels to
make a smaller image. It is called pixel binning and reduces the
apparent noise. Most give the option of making a smaller image than
native. You can, with your 12MP camera, calculate the size of a 6MP
image and select the closest size in the image options. Or you can do
it in post processing. You can demonstrate it for yourself by
downloading one of the full size high ISO images from a test site like
dpreview.com, open it Photoshop and then downsize it. Watch the noise
abate. Many of the cams do it for you in the camera. I think you would
have to do some careful tests to really determine that a current high
ISO image, reduced in size, is worse than the same size native image
of an older camera.

Processing times of current 12MP cams, even the slowest, are superior
to even the best of the cameras when 6MP was the big dog in the
megapixel race, with the possible exception of the Fujifilm F30 which
is still considered pretty quick. The best of the current crop are
pretty good.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA