[OM] Re: Flash references

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash references
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:06:44 -0400
According to this source
<http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html> the Metz has a trigger
voltage of only 5 volts so no problem there.  But the SCA321 thing will
be useless on the E-510 and you'll need a hot shoe to PC adapter to
connect a PC cord between camera and flash.  The best is the Nikon AS-15
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37086-REG/Nikon_3066_AS_15_Sync_Terminal_Adapter.html>
No TTL, auto mode or manual only.  For manual flash take a couple test
shots and chimp the histogram to get the exposure right.

The Viv 285 may also be usable depending on its trigger voltage.  It
could be in the neigborhood of 12 volts or it could be 250 volts.  E
series manuals either don't mention maximum allowable trigger voltage or
else say there are flashes of 250 volts or more on the market and these
might damage the camera without saying what the camera's actual limit
is.  We had word from Europe that all E cameras were good to 200 volts
but we don't really know how true that might be.  Your call

Chuck Norcutt