[OM] Re: My Very 1st Wedding

Subject: [OM] Re: My Very 1st Wedding
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:21:10 -0600
J. Van Brimmer wrote:
> I will have another talk with my son tonight to see if there's any way
> possible for me to get out of this.

  Just chiming in to second/third/.. the recommendation not to do it.

  If you're taking photos at the wedding, then you're there as the
photographer, not as the father of the groom. For friends/distant
relations, that's fine, but as someone that directly involved, it seems
like a bad plan. If you're okay with effectively missing the wedding,
then sure -- but you can't both be taking photos of the wedding and
being 'in' the wedding, unless you're only taking candid shots during
the meal or something.

  One thing nobody has yet mentioned -- how are you going to handle the
shots that you'll be in? Presumably they'll want family photos, so are
you going to be dashing back and forth with self-timer/remote, or
recruiting backup to handle those ones?

  (Oh, and disposable cameras on tables are worth a try, but I really
wouldn't expect more than maybe half-a-dozen decent shots from all of
them, based on our experience. They're fun to hand out as an extra thing
for people to do during the meal, and you may well come up with
something great -- but the lens/flash/etc on those really isn't up to much).

  -- dan