[OM] Some good deals online

Subject: [OM] Some good deals online
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:13:29 -0600
  Just some things I got recently from Dealextreme and thought I'd pass
on -- note: shipping is _included_ in all the prices below.

  Hot shoe leveler, $5.31:

  Looks totally identical to the ones B&H sell (which all look identical
to each other despite being from different manufacturers,
interestingly), but it's $20-25 cheaper.

  Hand strap, $16.19:

  Comfortable, and has handy backup wrist strap so that you can entirely
release the camera and it'll stay attached.

  http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8175 is half the price, but
feels much less stable, and the tripod hole in the bottom of that one is
offset from the camera's tripod hole, where 2324's one is in line.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9404, $13.90, internal (3.5"
drive bay) multi-card-reader -- reads from a 133x CF card at
20mb/second, which is pretty respectable, and it's nice to have the card
reader built in, rather than dangling off the front on an USB cable.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.214, $1.48

  is a generic 2.5" screen protector -- cut it down to fit your camera's
screen. It's one of the plastic sheet ones, mind you, but it's still a
good price.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5469, $4.74

  IR remote control. It works, it's cheap, that's about all there is to
say about that one.

  There's also a lot of other decent cheap stuff there -- 10-pack of
white led keychains, $4.68,
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1100. And if you want an LED
flashlight, DX have a lot of really nice ones --
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1322 is stupidly bright,
though it runs off 123 batteries (so pick up a couple of rechargeables
and a charger while you're there..)

  One gotcha -- as I said, shipping is included/free with all of the
above, but don't expect shipping to be _fast_ for that price..

  -- dan