[OM] Re: My Very 1st Wedding

Subject: [OM] Re: My Very 1st Wedding
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:27:57 -0000
Hi,

My only advice would be don't do it.  That would be my advice if you
were just an "ordinary" guest, but as father of the groom ?

I'd rather:

Make my own Wedding Cake.
Make my Bride's dress, by hand (and I can't even sew on a button).
Cook all the food for the reception myself.
Design and make all the Wedding Stationery myself.

And use the money I'd saved from all of the above to pay a pro.

I know that sounds flippant, but having got married myself last year I
can say with some experience that the last thing you or your son will
want you to be doing on the day is acting as professional photographer.

We got scared at the cost of the pro photographers, and ended up going
with one of the cheaper ones (just under 1000 UKP, and he gave us a disc
with the images on at the end - as someone else suggested).  Although it
was OK, I can say quite honestly that I wish I'd spent double that if it
would have got us better pictures.  I've seen a lot worse, but I've seen
a lot better too.

If you're still keen on doing it yourself, do some research online to
see what kind of shots you want.  Even if you are hiring someone, this
is worth doing.  We did it and produced a list of must-haves for the
photographer.  If you want to take a look, this is our wedding gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/jonmitch/wedding_gallery

A lot more experienced people than I will give you much better advice
than I if you choose to go ahead and do it yourself.  I sincerely wish
you the best of luck whichever route you take, and all the best to your
son and his future bride for their big day.

Jon