[OM] Re: Another oboy Hong Kong good guy

Subject: [OM] Re: Another oboy Hong Kong good guy
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 12:04:23 -0800
I would add to what Chuck and John have said that there are simply
people who don't get it or have their own, idiosyncratic ideas of how
things should be. And they leave feedback.

I was recently looking at the feedback for a seller I had just had a
terrific transaction with. He had a neutral, lucky it wasn't a negative,
from a guy who complained that he had been charged $6 for shipping and
the postage was only $3. No allowance for time and materials cost, or
even parking meter cost at the post office.

I bought an Olympus Six from a guy who specified that insurance was
required and how much it was. OK, fine, I factored that into my bid. I
went to pay immediately after the auction closed. When the eBoy payment
stuff came up, the insurance wasn't included and there was no way to add
it. I wrote to him asking him to send me another invoice including the
insurance and was foolish enough to suggest that he would make things
easier for himself and future buyers if he included it in the first
place. Again, I was lucky and only got a neutral, saying I had
complained about the insurance.

It's impossible to big a big seller and not get some negs. I'm even a
little looser than Chuck. On the big volume HK sellers, I'll go a bit
below 99% if the $ risk is low and it's something not commonly listed at
the time.

I recently bought small things from a couple of new to me HK sellers,
both "imperfect". One came quickly and the other so fast I don't know
how it got here without coming by courier. If you only go by negs, the
"instant" one is awful, 211 buyers gave negs. But 41,697 left positives
and they have a perfect 5 stars on the "Detailed Seller Ratings",
including mine now.

"You've got to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative. And
don't mess with mister in between."

A. Singing Moose

Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> If you make 8,000 sales it's not at all surprising that you might find
> 35 kooks amongst your buyers or 35 things be mishandled in the back room
> or 35 things get lost between Hong Kong and somewhere else in the world.

Moose