[OM] Re: E3 Q

Subject: [OM] Re: E3 Q
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:41:34 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
>   Half-pressing the shutter button at the same time does not seem to
> make any difference.
>
> Surely this can't be right?

  Yup, that's right. Pressing AEL/AFL is the equivalent of "half-press"
in Live View. No idea why it's not available from the main shutter
release button.

> This seems like a rather clunky iteration of Live View - doesn't it
> have separate focus detection systems for normal and live views - or
> am I thinking of something else? It is better than the Canon system
> but I expected to be able to get genuine AF while chimping,

  Nope -- that's only on the E420, where you get contrast detection from
the main sensor, rather than a separate AF sensor which is obscured when
the mirror is in the right place for LV.

  -- dan