[OM] Re: E3 Q

Subject: [OM] Re: E3 Q
From: Richard Ociepka <ociepka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 07:28:30 -0500
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Ta
> I'm set to S-AF+MF. C-AF is not available in Live View.
> The effect I'm getting is that it will NOT focus in Live View with a
> half-press of the 'declencheur' although the focus indication red
> squares do flash. But it does focus correctly when I take the photo.
> As you say, it only focuses if the AEL/AFL button is pressed and then
> it seems to make a shutter firing noise when it does it - the red
> indicators do not flash but the focus confirmation green spot does show.
>   Half-pressing the shutter button at the same time does not seem to
> make any difference.
>
> Surely this can't be right?
> Is it fixable in custom functions? - can't even begin to sort those
> until I get there manual in Engrish.
> This seems like a rather clunky iteration of Live View - doesn't it
> have separate focus detection systems for normal and live views

It only has one focus sensor.

See this for auto focus in live view. 2/3 ways down the page to the
right of the video clip.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E3/E3A.HTM
“To focus when in Live View mode, you have to press the AEL/AFL button,
or just press the shutter release and the Olympus E-3 will focus before
it captures the image. As is true with all Live View SLRs, there's
significant shutter lag, but that's the price of the feature at this
point. Though the E-3 by default re-focuses whether you've pre-focused
with the AEL/AFL button or not, you can set it Release Priority S or C
and it won't attempt to refocus. There will still be some delay as the
Olympus E-3 re-checks exposure, but not nearly as long or as random as
it can be while the camera tries to focus.”
See page 31 in the E-3 manual.

Dick