[OM] Re: Some B&W pics...

Subject: [OM] Re: Some B&W pics...
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:55:46 +1100
On 04/03/2008, at 6:30 AM, Moose wrote:

>> names) and by the expanse of mud that those beaches consist of.
>>
> Oh dear, has another of the old guard gone over to the dark side?
> "..consist of."
>
> I abandoned the fight years ago in those circumstances where old
> fashioned correct usage made for graceless reading.
>
> ".. mud of which those beaches consist." is the classic, literal
> correction.
> ".. mud that makes up those beaches." is more graceful reading.

Tsk.
Pedestrian.
Requires linguistic moosification.

"...the expanses of mud that serve for beaches in this region."
"...the broad estuarine mudflats that masquerade as beach in those
parts."
"...the vista of exposed and glistening littoral ooze that claims the
title of beach in these benighted zones."
Now if you you roll over the original phrase, well, you'll just get a
bit grubby.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx