[OM] Re: In camera BW vs post processing

Subject: [OM] Re: In camera BW vs post processing
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 02:54:19 -0800
Chris Barker wrote:
> That might be so, Moose, but the reason that I don't use ACR as a matter of
> course is that it requires individual attention.
Is that really true? I thought one could use Bridge to set up a batch
conversion? The fact that I have to ask says something about the
difference in the way we work.
> With Lightroom, LightZone, Aperture and iPhoto (for instance) the image is
> just there -- to adjust or not as you please.

Of those, I only know LightRoom. To me, LR merges a browser with a
partial editor. The way I work, if it's worth converting, it's worth
going over in ACR => PS. Yes, I know that's time consuming, and limits
the number of images I can display/print. But it's my time and they are
my images. I'm not on deadline, and I choose to display only those
images I have gone into to in at least some modest depth. If they still
happen to be crap, at least they are my best crap of the moment. Wabi-sabi

You do some group/event shots, and perhaps others, casual things and
snaps, where that approach isn't appropriate, for whatever reason.
That's fine, and I'm glad you like the sort of application you use. I
wanted to like LR, and RawShooter, and RawTherapee, which have similar
set-ups, but I just don't. And I haven't just tried them for a couple of
minutes and thrown up my hands. I've spent hours working with them.

I don't like them for the exact inverse of your reason for liking that
form; that it doesn't facilitate individual attention - which will
almost always involve actions that the application doesn't support -
without more fuss than the alternative.

I prefer to browse the RAW images without full conversion in a viewer,
to decide which I will convert and edit. I happen to like FastStone for
the purpose. It makes it quick and easy to browse through the RAW
images, at thumbnail, screen size or 100%. Then a single keystroke opens
ACR for the next selected shot. I can choose among brackets, see which
shots aren't actually in focus, where somebody walked in and blocked the
shot, etc. immediately, and never convert those. BreezeBrowser and
IrfanView, and undoubtedly others, also do those functions beautifully.

I also like and am comfortable with ACR and PS. I continue to find new
ways to do things in PS and ways to do new things I didn't know could be
done until I tried. The redundancy and ridiculously complex range of
tools in PS that drive many crazy make me feel that I'm working in a
field of open, unexplored potential; free to grow; limited by my skills
so far and my imagination more than by limits of the environment.

Don't fence in this
  Moose