[OM] Re: Olympus EC-14 and EC-20 Teleconverters

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus EC-14 and EC-20 Teleconverters
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:11:00 -0700
r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I use and am pleased with the results of using an EC-14 with my lenses
 > and I am seriously thinking of adding the EC-20 to my gear.

  I'd strongly recommend trying it out first. I tested an EC-20 standing
in the parking outside the camera shop, and noticed three things:

  1. despite it being a bright sunny day, it made focussing with the
50-200 noticeably more difficult

  2. focussing also wasn't as accurate as I'd like, even when it did
find focus

  3. and the loss in quality because of the extra glass was enough that,
comparing a center crop magnified 2x with an image from the EC-20, there
was no obvious difference in sharpness, just a difference in colour tone.

  Now, if you shoot on a tripod and take your time, 1 and 2 go away, and
very possibly 3 was partly due to extra camera shake because I was
hand-holding -- but, that said, this was at 1/800th for 200mm+2x, with
IS enabled, which is not unreasonable.

  -- dan