[OM] Re: 12-60mm or 14-54mm

Subject: [OM] Re: 12-60mm or 14-54mm
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 08:29:40 -0700
The 12-60 has faster AF, even on a non-E3 body.  *Much* faster on the
E3.  Better reach at the long end, better vistas at the wide end.
Boatloads of ED glass elements.  Slightly more prone to flare than the
14-54 (reportedly -- so far, I haven't seen this problem on my copy of
the 12-60).  Weighs more, requires more torque to zoom (the focus is
mechanically-coupled to the zoom helicoid, so you're moving more mass
and the internal mechanism's likely more complicated).  Doesn't feel
quite as "silky" when zooming (doesn't bother me, but might bother some).

There's also a thread on dpreview about how "disappointed" some people
are that the 12-60 has some "play" or "wobble" in the lens barrel when
it's zoomed all the way out to its fully-extended 60mm position.  I got
involved in this thread, and realized oh too late that I shouldn't have
bothered -- it appears to be another excuse for people there to dump on
Oly.  I mention it in case such things bother you -- though, if you've
already owned the 14-54, you've already run into the "play" at the
extended position.  I don't think it has any impact on the lens'
performance in the real world, but others disagree.

As for apparent sharpness, it seems tack-sharp to me.  Is it a huge
improvement over the 14-54?  Hey, my eyes are getting too old to know
without specialized targets and pixel-peeping, and I've grown tired of
doing those things.  I only have so many years left, y'know?  ;-)

Garth