[OM] Re: ND Filter for Wide Angle Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: ND Filter for Wide Angle Lens
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:42:56 -0800
>This discussion fell onto another direction.
>
>Another question I had is round threaded filter vs.
>square filter w/ filter holder.
>
>Any advantages for using a square filter over a round
>filter? Years ago I had a Cokin setup. Cokin seems to
>have become less popular these days. Someone suggested
>using a Cokin holder w/ a hi-tech filter.

Good gosh, that someone could have been me.
I use a Cokin P series holder with Hitech Grad ND's.
I'm shooting film (gasp) so I can't attest to Chuck's idea of doing it with
multiple shots in the digital world then combining them in the digital darkroom.
The rectangular filters of Cokin/Hitech/Lee are resin.  They are obviously
easier to scratch than glass.  Tiffen makes a series of glass grad ND's for the
P series holder.  Hang on to your checkbook when you view the prices of the
Tiffens at B&H.

IMHO, there is no substitute for a rectangular grad ND.  A round grad ND is
useless.  If you accept that premise, the question then becomes, are there other
filters that you would like to use in the cokin mounting scheme?  A lot of what
could be done in Cokin's play land can be done digitally.  But if you are
shooting film, that Grad ND is mighty useful.

Jay - still shooting film and doing it poorly, thank you very much.