[OM] Re: (OM) E-1 with Zuiko 100/2

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) E-1 with Zuiko 100/2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:27:23 -0800
bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Just a 'hello" to all, and a quick note.

Hi Brian, nice to hear from you.

> I'm probably shooting myself in the foot by writing this; but regarding the
> recent discussion about Tokina AT-X lenses, I have a Tok AT-X 24-40 f/2.8,
> the only lens I have ever bought from KEH.
>
> It IS very sharp, but ... it has the weird and annoying characteristic of
> unexpectedly and npredictably dumping a large round patch of blue (sky) in
> the middle of an image. So I haven't used it as much as I expected I would.

Sounds like flare to me. The roundness of the patch is the diaphragm
opening. You not only really need the hood, at the wide end, you need to
keep a lookout anytime sun or bright sky is in or just outside the edge
of the frame. Hat or hand are very useful with this lens. Other than
that, a very fine lens. The AT-X 60-120/2.8 is also excellent, and
doesn't have the flare tendency.

Moose