[OM] Re: web site recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: web site recommendations
From: Robert McFetridge <rmcfet@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:21:13 -0500
John
I am probably in a similar position I think insofar as I want to get
a number of recent and historic family images to family members.
Several friends and some family use Flickr and it seems to work well
for them. An issue that few seem aware of is that when you enter into
contract with these sites many gain 'copyright' or access and usage
rights to the images and information you post. Also these sites may
not have to delete the material if you stop using the service. This
is particularly an issue with facebook and other such social
networking sites that are also used for this type of image sharing
activity. Most of the time I suspect this does not matter for
practical purposes but it is part of what is slowing me down to use
such services. I  do not know what it means a few years away if
someone finds and chooses to use family images either without my
knowledge or agreement or in a manner I or the people in the image
would not approve. The thing with Flickr and all the other 'free'
services is that they are pretty open to anyone on the planet and
access to your site can expand exponentially without your knowledge.
There is not necessarily malice of intent its just human nature and
the desire to share on the internet.

An option is to set up your own web page. This is the direction I am
heading in and one that was suggested to me by the son of a close
friend who is in the industry and does just that. A small bit more
work but ownership issues remain clear and access is better
controlled albeit not perfect. Most ISPs also provide good web page
services that are part of your contract with them and these can be
very secure.

The reality is that nothing is free. I would prefer to pay a small
fee up front and know the contract and access is more in my favour.
In the end nothing on the INTERNET is completely secure so one sets
ones own parameters for privacy and reasonable access based on what
they are willing to accept.

One of the things I find most interesting about the Oly crowd is how
many have their own sites and even the TOPE site seems to have
reasonable controls. This, to me,  shows an interest to balance the
need to share images with respect for those who have taken or are
sharing them.

For the record I have spent many years dealing with issues of access,
ownership and the ethics of third partner use and exploitation,
mostly as it relates to traditional knowledge and indigenous peoples
so I am probably overly sensitive to these issues.

Bob