[OM] OT What lenses for the D3? [was 14 is the new 12]

Subject: [OM] OT What lenses for the D3? [was 14 is the new 12]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:42:38 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Thom Hogan who has some pretty good rumor sources says that PMA in a
> couple of weeks will see 14MP sensors in digicams (Yikes!)
This thing keeps nagging at me. Nikon hasn't, as far as I know, made a
clear differentiation between weather sealed lenses and others. At least
that's what I recall from a thread a while ago where folks were trying
to divine which lenses were and weren't.

Also, Nikon hasn't introduced any new FF lenses since they started DSLR
production.

Do we know how their existing FF lens stable will hold up out in the
corners on the D3? Yeah, I know it will work with the 1.5x lenses, but
that makes it a very expensive small sensor camera - and without much
resolution. No point.

Yes, I know new lenses, designed for FF digital and undoubtedly weather
sealed, are coming, but not here yet, and a broad range will take a while.

So if I were someone contemplating a D3 for outdoor use in serious
weather conditions, not just rain, but hot and cold, fine blowing dust,
etc., what lenses would make up a weather sealed package for the D3 with
top optical performance?

I've never owned an AF Nikon, so I haven't kept up, so maybe this is all
a silly question. Fortunately, I can't think of a better place to ask a
silly question. I guess I just can't forget the, probably consumer
model, Nikon AF SLR that went berserk and self destructed next to me
with my OM-2n in the rain forest.

A. Curious Moose