[OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters

Subject: [OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:09:31 -0500
It was the common sense presented on this list that finally broke me
of the filter habit. With my DZ lenses, I now carry one B&W UV filter
that I install on whichever lens I'm using if around blowing sand or
salt spray. With the new Nikon gear I picked up a NIkon brand clear
glass filter that will be used the same way. Not one for each lens.
Just one.

Like Chuck said, whether Zuiko, Nikon or Canon (or Pentax, etc.),
this is really good glass and shouldn't be degraded unless absolutely
necessary. Besides, the case could be made that taking pictures under
adverse conditions such as a lot of dust or spray is automatically
going to degrade the image (shoot through falling snow if you don't
believe me), so the filter can only help protect your investment. If
conditions are not adverse (verse? <g>), then who needs the filter.
Naked glass. That's the way God meant it to be. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com