[OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters

Subject: [OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 20:54:26 -0500
I could hypothesize that the front element is actually a Schmidt
corrector plate to correct the coma of such a fast optic.  The
characteristic of a Schmidt corrector is that it looks nearly flat to
the eye but isn't.  The front is flat but the back side has an extremely
shallow sinusoidal-like curve.  Commonly used in Celestron and Meade
catadioptric telescopes for the correction of coma in fast, spherical
mirrors.  I don't know of any cases where a Schmidt plate is used in
conjunction with all-refracting optics but I don't see any reason why it
couldn't be.  That's my 2 cents.

Chuck Norcutt