[OM] Re: OT - firewire

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - firewire
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:46:53 +1100
Not quite - that's the Correlation Fallacy due to misuse or ignorance
of statistical rules.
As in -
“Global Warming has increased steadily of the last two hundred years.
In the same period, the number of genuine swashbuckling pirates has
dwindled to almost zero. Clearly there is a direct (inverse)
correlation. Global Warming is caused by the decrease in pirate
numbers.” Paraphrased from Bobby Henderson in his riotously funny
critique and parody  of Intelligent Design – ‘The Gospel of the
Flying Spaghetti Monster’.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc means 'it came after it so it must be
caused by it'
It's a fallacy of assuming a cause (Non causa, pro causa).
"Every time I wash my car, it rains. Therefore, washing my car brings
on the rain."
Sounds daft but in South Australia, thousands of farmers were ruined
by the 'Rain follows the plough' idea.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx