[OM] Re: OT - firewire

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - firewire
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 02:08:26 -0800
Jan Steinman wrote:
>> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> I tried to find a way for it to probe for Andrew, but couldn't find
>> it. So his existence or lack of same is still unknown.
>>
> That was in the way of an existential joke, not something to do with the
> internet.
>
> Andrew, send me you IP address (probably best done via private email)
> and I'll scan it for you. You can get it from:
>       Apple --> System Preferences... --> Network
>
> Another good tool for the paranoid is Little Snitch
> (http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html
> ). This is a "reverse firewall."
>
> In other words, most firewall software is concerned about incoming
> connections. Little Snitch reports whenever your computer initiates an
> outbound connection.
So does the ZoneAlarm firewall, which is concerned about security in
both directions. It gives the user the choice of one time or 'until
canceled' approval or denial of the outgoing connection request.
Whenever any outgoing connection is attempted, unless it is preapproved
by the user, a pop-up asks what to do with it.

I let Adobe phone home, 'cause it lets me know about available updates.
And I let QuickTime phone home for the same reason, even though it keeps
trying to trick me into allowing the devil's tool, iTunes, onto my
machine as well.

Moose
> This would happen (for example) if you got a zombie virus and it was phoning
> home for instructions. It's also useful for finding out when various software
> you've purposely installed "phones home" for instructions from the mother
> ship. Adobe apps are particularly handy at this sort of crap.

Exactly.
> :::: God is a comedian playing to an audience too terrified to laugh.
> -- Voltaire ::::

:::: God is a comedian playing to an audience having too much fun to be
afraid.

-- A Moose who isn't as famous, but apparently having a better time than
Voltaire did. ::::