[OM] Re: OT - firewire

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - firewire
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 00:42:02 -0800
> From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I suffered a raid on my Paypal account recently because
> my OSX firewall settings were wrong...

I seriously doubt the asserted cause and effect.

Could it be you had a "weak" password on your PayPal account? Do other
people have access to your computer, and if so, do you have your web
browser set up to automatically fill in passwords and such?

The only way I could imagine wrong firewall settings allowing someone
access to your PayPal account might be if you had Screen Sharing or
Remote Management turned on "All users". And even then, they'd have to
guess an account and password. Otherwise, they still can't get your
PayPal account info off your computer, because it isn't really stored
there.

So, your son's contempt aside, I don't think your firewall is to blame
for your PayPal woes.

:::: We stand, in most places on earth, only six inches from
desolation, for that is the thickness of the topsoil layer upon which
the entire life of the planet depends. -- R. Neil Sampson ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality http://www.EcoReality.org ::::