[OM] Re: OT - firewire

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - firewire
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 15:47:31 -0800
Chris Crawford wrote:
> ....I doubt they used your computer unless they raided your computer to get
> where you wrote the password in a file.

The perennial problem; how do I avoid forgetting my password without
putting it where others may find it.

I can't possibly remember passwords for all the sites I use that require
them. So I have a system of a couple of master passwords that I can
remember and only exist in my head.

Then I have a spreadsheet with all the sites and a notation of which
parts of which master password make up the password for that site. So an
entry might be something like "1st half P1 + 1/4 P2". At the moment, one
master is alpha and the other numeric, so I can easily combine parts to
meet the varying alphanumeric detail requirements of various sites.

When I start rolling in a replacement for a master, it simply gets a new
identifier on the spreadsheet and I can update the spreadsheet entries
as I change the password for each site when I next visit it.

I haven't lost/forgotten a password since I started this, but there is
no way for someone else to know the passwords even if they get the
spreadsheet.

Then I have a generic password for all those sites, that require one,
but I don't care if someone else finds it. They are using the email as
ID plus password thing to get your email and remind you to come back.

Moose