[OM] Re: Christmas camera wish list

Subject: [OM] Re: Christmas camera wish list
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 07:40:25 -0500
For anyone interested, I just posted on the web site an image of
Pemaquid Point Light taken with the D3, hand held, at ISO 6400. NEF
file processed through ACR, post processing in CS3, and noise
reduction via Neat Image.

http://www.bwp33.com/page14/page14.html

I've never worked at these ISOs before, and I'm sure I've got a lot
to learn about postprocessing at that speed. Still and all, it's a
usable image, though not one I'd put out for sale at my venues. (I
took more at lesser ISOs and higher shutter speeds which will fill
that need.) Shutter speed on this one was 1/50, and it was hand held
(before muscle spasms), but on my screen, blown up to 200 percent, I
can make out what the sign actually says. It's a little fuzzy cause I
needed to be on a tripod, but I can still make it out.

Furthermore, what I've heard said is true. Even at full noise the
image is not unattractive. It really is more of a film grain effect
that nasty splotches of color noise. Not that I'd want to extend the
metaphor to silliness, but in the case of shot or no shot, the D3
gives you the shot and makes it look pretty damn good. I'm not used
to taking photos in light where I can barely see. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
Pumping Iron since 12-12-07
www.bwp33.com